Why pH SAFE (Sterile Automated Fluoroscopic Evaluation)?
- Better monitoring of the world’s blood supply means better health for every person;
- Healthy platelets will result in effective, life saving transfusions;
- Platelet therapy is used to reduce the risk of bleeding in high risk patients such as those receiving chemotherapy, patients who have suffered severe trauma from incidences like car accidents and soldiers wounded in battle.
- Effective transfusions will reduce the number of days a patient spends in a hospital and reduce the number of additional transfusions required.
How does pH Monitoring Ensure Healthy Outcomes?
- Platelet quality as measured by pH can be compromised by:
- Sub optimal conditions during transport and storage.
- A bacterial contamination in the platelet unit. This can be an excellent double check for a contamination that may have been missed in early sampling.
- Processing variables such as volume, platelet count, and available glucose.
- The suitability of a specific donor’s blood for storage.
- The new pathogen reduction and inactivation processes.
- 100% operational monitoring of pH is possible today for platelets
- pH is an accepted quality parameter for platelets in the transfusion practice
Knowing the condition of the blood offered prior to medical procedures removes the risk of contamination or infection via the transfusion process and ensures only effective blood components are available for transfusion.
What is the BCSI pH SAFE System?
- Non-invasive – no sample is required
- Zero risk of product contamination during pH reading
- Zero risk of blood exposure to technical staff
- Fast – a single pH test is performed in under 1 second
- An entire inventory of 100 platelet units can be read in under 30 minutes.
- Accurate – each pH measurement is accurate to 0.1 pH units
- Accuracy is similar to pH electrode
- Accuracy is far better than pH paper
- These other methods require sampling and are susceptible to errors caused by CO2 off gassing
- Vein to Vein platelet control – The pH can be measured multiple times all along the supply chain from component separation to transfusion.
- Cost effective – BCSI pH SAFE SENSOR adds a small cost to the storage bag. The pH SAFE READER is similar in cost to pH electrode systems and much less than that of a blood gas analyzer
- No waiting for pH results –
- The pH SAFE SENSOR is built into the platelet storage bag and always ready to measure
- The system is pre-calibrated with no waiting for an instrument to calibrate
- A simple yes/no pH check by hospitals just prior to transfusion.